Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bicycle Ride, 20080803su1500-1630

My bicycle ride today was about 10 miles and took 90 minutes. I had to ride slower because of headwinds and gravel roads. Photos from the ride are below in reverse chronological order (newest at top going to oldest photo).

The GPS and mapping system in my iPhone took me on the "most direct route" to where my client lives. The "road" the GPS had me take, went from a bumpy paved road, to a gravel road, and then on a dirt road that was so rarely traveled that it had grown over with grass.

I was reminded of a time when I'd traveled to South America, and was on a bus in Peru. The road conditions were similar to what I faced today. Eventually, the bus driver took us through a field in the high planes of Peru where no road existed at all -- only wild llamas grazing.

As I was riding my bicycle, through the remote rural area of Iowa, I came upon a sign with the following warning, "Caution, Minimum Maintenance Road. Level B Surface. Enter at your own risk." This reminded me that sometimes in life, we are given a choice to take an "overgrown trail or path" that seems challenging and/or risky. Yet, it turns out to be the most fulfilling and rewarding path.

(below) In this photo, I'm continuing to ride north west on Wapsi Extension North East toward my destination. It was nice riding along these smooth quiet rural dirt roads.


(above) In this photo, I'm continuing to ride north west on Wapsi Extension North East toward my destination.

(above) After going a short distance on 340th St. NE, I turned left/north on Wapsi Avenue North East and continued a short distance to Fairview Cemetery Road NE which continued diagonally north/east. I turned left/north at Vincent Avenue North East and went a short distance to Wapsi Extension North East and turned left (north west) on that road (seen above in the photo).

(above) Fairview Cemetery Road NE intersects with 340th Street North East (seen in the photo above). I turned right at the intersection and continued for a short distance on 340th St. NE.

(above) A short time after the warning sign, the road became a dirt surface with ruts in it.

(above) A short time after the warning sign, the road became a dirt surface with ruts in it.

In the photo above, I'm turning right (north east) on Fairview Cemetary Road North East. This is a road that goes diagonally north east. To get to this point, I went from downtown Iowa City to Muscatine Avenue and continued east. Then I went left/north on Scott Boulevard. Then I went right/east on Rochester Avenue which becomes Herbert Hoover Highway South East. As soon as I crossed Interstate Highway 80, I went north west on Utah Avenue North East and went around the curve to connect up with Fairview Cemetery Road North East.